Next generation interactive pen displays offer widescreen, high-definition displays and sleek design
CALGARY, Alberta --- August 5, 2011 --- SMART Technologies Inc. (NASDAQ: SMT) (TSX: SMA), a leading provider of collaboration solutions, announces the new SMART Podium 500 series. The SMART Podium 518 and 524 interactive pen displays provide the functionality of a SMART Board™ interactive whiteboard, optimized for individual use, and enable business users and educators to turn any work area or classroom into an interactive collaboration space. The new widescreen, high-definition (HD) series features SMART’s patented DViT™ (Digital Vision Touch) technology, enabling accurate digital writing and an interactive experience. Both the 518 and 524 models are high-bandwidth digital content protection (HDCP) compliant to ensure safe transfer of files. Because the tethered pen is the point of contact, users can rest their hand on the interactive display while writing notes or interacting with content while the Smooth Tilt Stand enables users to adjust the angle for a more natural writing experience. The SMART Podium 500 series will begin shipping globally by the end of October 2011.
The 518 and 524 models offer an interactive screen size of 18.5" (46.9 cm) and 24" (60.9 cm), respectively, on the diagonal. The 500 series featuring SMART Meeting Pro™ software enables business users to collaborate effectively and efficiently with both local and remote participants, when used in conjunction with SMART Bridgit™ conferencing software. Users can connect to a computer and projector to share digital content with a group before saving their notes directly into commonly used software applications such as Microsoft® Office and AutoCad®. Users can also connect a guest laptop directly to SMART Podium using the SMART GoWire™ auto-launch cable to run SMART Meeting Pro software without installing any software. The 500 series featuring SMART Notebook™ collaborative learning software enables educators to use dynamic interactive lessons that engage learners. Connected to a computer and projector, the interactive pen display allows educators to highlight and make notes during lessons and save them for students’ future reference. SMART Podium gives educators the interactivity of the SMART Board interactive whiteboard while presenting facing the class from a standing or seated position. For more information on the SMART Podium 500 series featuring SMART Meeting Pro software, visit smarttech.com/PodiumforBusiness. For more information on the SMART Podium 500 series featuring SMART Notebook software, visit smarttech.com/PodiumforEducation.
“As customers around the world continue to adopt interactive technology products in their meeting rooms and classrooms, we recognize the need to provide comprehensive solutions that meet the specific needs of both customer groups,” says Linda Thomas, Vice President, Products, SMART Technologies. “By offering two new models of the SMART Podium interactive pen displays that feature either SMART Meeting Pro software or SMART Notebook software, we can provide our business and education users with the tools they need to enhance interactivity, engage with their audience and collaborate efficiently and effectively.”
Download images of the SMART Podium 500 series interactive pen display.
Widescreen, HD interactive display
– Displays digital content in sharp detail with an 18.5" (46.9 cm) or 24" (60.9 cm) HD progressive scan LCD display
– Native 16:9 resolution and support 4:3 and 16:10 with scaling
– Automatically displays the video input in its native resolution and aspect ratio, including 4:3 and 16:10
– Flexible video connection options using DVI, VGA or HDMI, paired with the widescreen format aspect ratio and scaling options, ensure compatibility with existing and future technology investments as video connections and aspect ratios evolve
– One-click illuminated buttons provide quick and easy access to pen tools and other functions
– The battery-free tethered pen enables users to rest their hand on the interactive display surface for a more natural writing experience
SMART Ink – Ink-smoothing algorithms make handwritten notes look smoother and more refined
Magnetic pen-rest – Securely store the tethered pen in the magnetic pen-rest, ensuring it won’t be lost or damaged
Smooth Tilt Stand
– Gas-spring technology enables users to smoothly and easily adjust the degree of tilt to optimize the ergonomic position and provide a more natural writing experience
SMART GoWire auto-launch cable
– Launches SMART Meeting Pro software without installing software. Included only with the 518 and 524 models featuring SMART Meeting Pro software.
High-speed USB ports
– Three high-speed USB 2.0 ports enable users to access files and connect peripherals such as the SMART Document Camera™
– Prevent unauthorized USB data transfers by mechanically disabling USB port functionality
Kensington ® security lock ready – Supports a Kensington security lock
– SMART Meeting Pro software is compatible with Microsoft Windows® while SMART Notebook software is compatible with both Microsoft Windows and Mac OS
– Supports 21 languages, including English (UK and U.S.), French (Canada), Hindi, Italian, German, Portuguese (Brazil and Portugal), Russian, Spanish (Spain and Mexico), Arabic, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Danish, Dutch, Hungarian, Korean, Norwegian, Swedish and Turkish, enabling users to set up on-screen display functions in their chosen language
SMART product integration
– Integrates with all SMART hardware and software products, including the SMART Board interactive whiteboard, the SMART Board interactive display, SMART Document Camera, SMART Notebook software, SMART Meeting Pro software, the SMART GoWire auto-launch cable and SMART’s collaboration platforms – SMART Meeting Pro, SMART Hub™ SE and SMART Hub PE
– Includes two-year limited warranty and five-year warranty through the purchase of an extended warranty
Pricing and availability
The suggested list price in the United States for the SMART Podium 518 and 524 models, with either SMART Meeting Pro software or SMART Notebook software, is US$2,899 and US$3,599, respectively. Prices outside the United States vary by country and may include applicable taxes, duties and import costs. Information on suggested list price or special pricing for educators, where applicable, is available from local authorized SMART resellers. The SMART Podium 500 interactive pen displays are expected to begin shipping globally by the end of October 2011. For purchasing information, specifications and a list of authorized SMART resellers, visit smarttech.com/wheretobuy.
SMART Technologies Inc. is a leading provider of collaboration solutions that transform the way the world works and learns. We believe that collaboration and interaction should be easy. As the global leader in interactive whiteboards, we bring more than two decades of collaboration research and development to a broad range of easy-to-use, integrated solutions that free people from their desks and computer screens, so collaborating and learning with digital resources are more natural.
Certain information contained in this press release may constitute forward-looking information or statements. By their very nature, forward-looking information and statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties, both general and specific, and risks that predictions, forecasts, projections and other forward-looking information and statements will not be achieved. We caution readers not to place undue reliance on these statements as a number of important factors could cause the actual results to vary materially from the forward-looking information or statements. We do not assume responsibility for the accuracy and completeness of the forward-looking information or statements. Any forward-looking information and statements contained in this press release are expressly qualified by this cautionary statement.
For more information, please contact
SMART Technologies Inc.
© 2011 SMART Technologies. SMART Podium, SMART Board, DViT, SMART Meeting Pro, SMART Bridgit, SMART GoWire, SMART Notebook, SMART Document Camera, SMART Hub, smarttech and the SMART logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of SMART Technologies in the U.S. and/or other countries. All third-party product and company names are for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Please note that SMART is written in all capital letters.